The original Climax windpump was manufactured by Thomas and Son of Worcester in England. After the second world war Stewards and Lloyds were allowed to, under lisence, manufacture the Climax at their Tosa works in Vereeniging. The first were manufactured in 1942 but after some modifications the 1944 model were made. Further modifications were made to the windvane to improve efficiency and the 1957 model saw the light. This model has S & L on the one side of the vane and Climax with the C partly encircling the rest of the name.. The lettering on the windvane changed again in 1969 with S&L within a white disk on the one side and Steward and Lloyds on the other.
Stewards and Lloyds also built a number 18 windpump. It is a direct-acting windpump. It can be distinguished by the wheel construction that has three concentric rims where the other models only have two. The windvane was orange. These models are not manufactured anymore.
In 1985 Dorbyl Limited bought Stewards and Lloyds and the windmill devision was moved to Duncanville in Vereeniging in 1989. The later models have a wind vane with white lettering on an orange background. The date of manufacture of the specific windpump is stamped on the oilbath.
As from 1997 the factory was moved and the Climax windpumps are now manufactured in Bloemfontein.
|Climax 1944 model photographed on farm Keurfontein distrist Laingsburg.||Climax 1955 model photographed on farm Matjiesfontein near Nieuwoudtville.||Climax 1944 model photographed in main road Malmesbury.||Climax 1944 and Southern Cross in Koring street Moorreesburg.||Climax 1955 model photographed on farm Keurfontein in Laingsburg district.|
|Climax 1955 model on farm Slagtersfontein district Laingsburg.||Climax 1955 on farm Slagtersfontein district Laingsburg. Other side of vane.||Climax 1955 model photographed on farm Botterkraal in district Prince Albert.||Climax 1955 model photographed in Klaarstroom.||Climax 1955 model on erf of Klaas de Jager in Keimoes.|
|Climax photographed near Laingsburg. The windpump was erected in 2003.||Climax photographed on farm Steenboksfontein,district Prince Albert.||Climax photographed near Manzini in Swaziland.||Climax photographed on farm Poortjie district Vosburg.||Climax on farm Poortjie district Vosburg. Other side of vane.|
|Climax No 18 photographed at the school in Nuwerus.||Climax on farm Toekoms in Namibia.||Climax photographed near Zastron.||Climax 1944 model photographed at House Jacobs in Nieuwoudtville.||Climax 1955 model photographed on farm Leeuwfontein district Merweville.|
|Climax 1969 model photographed in Vleiland between Laingsburg and Seweweeks Poort.||Climax and Aermotor photographed on farm Slagterspoort district Prince Albert.||Climax 1944 model near Klaarstroom. Note the tubular stand struts. The stand was sold as a kit.||Climax No 18 model photographed at school in Nuwerus.||Climax 1969 model photographed on farm Groothoek near Nieuwoudtville.|
|Climax 1986 model on farm Hartbeesfontein district Laingsburg.||Climax 1957 model on farm Keurfontein district Laingsburg. The sun-cell is used on windless days.||Climax on road between Grunau and Seeheim in Namibia.||Climax on N7 near Vredenburg.||Climax 1944 model in Naukluft National Park near Sesriem in Namibia.|
|Climax photographed at Tweedside between Laingsburg and Touwsrivier. The head was taken down a couple of years ago.||Two Climax windpumps near Nieuwoudville.||Climax between Paternoster and Shelley Point.|